Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Popovers

Popovers were literally everywhere on the little part of the internet I watch for about a week. I didn't even know what they were, really, before then. And then my own mom starts talking about them! She made some when we visited, and I could understand the attraction. (They're starting to sound really good right now, actually...)

They're so common that the Oracle had a recipe. An easy one, apparently. So I made these one night with a spaghetti and meatball dinner because, gosh darn it, I really wanted them.


As you can see from the picture, I'd like to call these Escapees rather than popovers. Watching them in the oven, they literally looked like they were crawling out of my ... ahem ... muffin pan. No, I don't have a special popover pan. I don't want one. Nonstick is the way to go. Rusty aluminum that you justify is OK because you use muffin liners is not. RIP old muffin pan.

The batter was sort of pancake consistency, and a good shot of cooking spray would have probably been as good as wiping the cups with shortening. They came out just perfect, although I understand there's a more complex and proper way to make them. According to the internet, people have trouble with them deflating. I promise I don't have the magic touch, guys. They're not hard.

I hear these are a good breakfast food. Is it tomorrow yet? Anyone up for breakfast?

No comments: