Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9/11/07

Yes, I'm aware what day it is. Six years ago I was going to class, bumming around, wondering why it was so quiet. I went to my weather class in the morning, and things were all normal. I took my nap on the quad, but there weren't a lot of people around - normal on a college campus in the morning. I saw my roommate on her way back to our dorm and she said there'd been a plane crash, but didn't really tell me anything else. My statistics class was canceled for it, and we all went back to our homes and watched the news for days.

Life goes on. Still sad, but we're still around.

The past few days have been really busy:

  • Sunday I went to Wal Mart for what will probably be the last
    time. I know when I go there I'm not going to Nordstrom's (OK I've
    never been to Nordstrom's). But being a business student, I tend to
    read and hear a lot about Wal Mart - how they're an example for
    retailers, how they are trying to target their customers, and how they
    are losing millions in theft. But they just don't seem to "get" it.
    They remodeled our local store, which is in the ghetto. The people in
    my neighborhood don't care about fake hardwood floors in women's
    clothing! The final straw: now, they won't let you leave without
    checking off your receipt. If I'm going to be treated guilty until
    proven innocent, having shopped at Wal Marts all over the country for
    years, I'm not going to go.
  • I finally finished my final project for pre-fall, which was 2
    weeks ago! I realized with that, and my other classes, it's like taking
    4 classes at once.
  • My three for this semester have turned out to be more work than
    I anticipated. I don't know if it's do-able, or if I'm just off
    schedule. I have until next week to figure it out.
  • Don't ask me why I was reading this, but I saw recommendations
    on how to talk to your kids (8-9 years old) about puberty. Their
    suggestion? "They mean that your body is getting ready so that one day,
    you can make a baby!" Tell that to a child. Let me know how it goes.
  • I watched a clip of Britney Spears' VMA performance. It was
    like I had gotten up on stage and danced ... and that's not flattering.
    At least I'm in very slightly better shape. As bad as it was, you have
    to feel just a little humiliated for her, even if she did do it all to
    herself.
  • Code names at work = crucial for sanity.
  • The packages from my mini-shopping spree last Friday (of which I
    only actually spent $37) are slowly but surely on their way. But, my
    grandmother's photo book has not been delivered yet. It's stuck
    somewhere in the post office abyss.
  • I've been trying to think of the things I did in college to stay
    in shape:
    • Walked to class and everywhere else: not really a possibility
      in Southern California. I could try to park further away, but I'm
      perpetually late.
    • Yoga every day: also not possible, when I work 8 hours, spend
      1.5-1.75 hours in the car, and 3 hours in class Monday - Wednesday. But
      I can go at lunch time most Tuesdays and Thursdays.
    • Drank tons of water: I always had at least one glass of water
      on my desk.
    • No soda: That's right. I got tired of drinking soda in the
      dorms, so I switched to milk. I don't really remember drinking that
      much soda until starting school again.
So, I'm on my second day of tea and water - no coffee or soda. Tea has
just enough caffeine to keep me up, and even has health benefits. I
don't know why I didn't switch earlier! But I'm still craving my
pumpkin spice latte. That might have to be my "made it through another
week" treat!

No comments: