Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ladeez

Hey girls...

Having been playing in the good old boy's club for so long, this was kind of an interesting article. It's over-simplified, obviously, but I think it's a more fair assessment of the battle of the sexes. I mean, I like pink - that shouldn't mean I'm less professional. No one would ever say a man was unprofessional for wearing light blue (unless in leisure-suit form, then ... all bets off). Someone even asked if it was OK to wear a dress to work, because their female manager told them only secretaries wore dresses.

There's plenty of examples of women who have done it all, as well as stay at home moms and women who don't want kids at all. And, despite all the evidence, women are less compensated, promoted less, and, albeit subconsciously, thought of as less dependable and more volatile.

Sigh. I know I'm probably overly sensitive, as I tend to want to work in male-dominated fields. But that doesn't mean I don't like dresses, or wearing makeup, or have a general scorn for babies. Is it really so wrong, and punishable, to do both?

No comments: