Thursday, July 2, 2009

Blueberry Muffins

The thing that makes me sad about muffins is that they tend to have so, so many calories. Basically, a muffin is a little cake. A little cake innocently looking up at you from its paper cup, telling you it's a viable breakfast option.

Since berries are in season, the SparkRecipes of the day have been berry-related for a little while. I filed away this recipe for blueberry muffins until I was ready and willing to blow most of my pint of breakfast cereal blueberries on it.

Things were going just fine until I started putting the batter into the cups. It had the consistency of ... thick paste (description edited for minimal stomach turning).

"Alright ... 4 stars? Featured in an email? They wouldn't lead me so astray, would they?"


Yes, they look good, don't they? I really wanted to like them. Really. I tried to tell myself I should have been rougher mixing in the blueberries so that they would have exploded and mixed in more, since they're basically the sugar in the recipe.

No. No, no, no. By the time I got to the last one (of which I think some of the blueberries had rotten less than a week later and almost threw up), I caved: they're putrid. They're dry, bitter, doughy, and heaven forbid you take a bite with that one, inevitable bitter blueberry.

No diet is worth that.

No comments: