Friday, July 3, 2009

No Knead Bread

Before the wedding, I saw more than one blog post on bread. Specifically, this NY Times no-knead recipe. Of course, reading about multiple experiences making it is like having your own test kitchen. Then, you're left with the easiest and most efficient method.

Enter the magical Kitchen Aid mixer. Oh, how you make my life easy.


Yes you can make this without it, but seriously it's pretty awesome.

I used 50/50 whole wheat flour and bread flour. Now I can't for the life of me find where I got this brilliant idea. But in general, we buy whole wheat bread, so it only made sense to make it as well. (Note: make sure the bread you are buying lists "whole wheat flour" as the first ingredient. Otherwise, you're just buying really dark white bread.)

There are a lot of different types of flour. When in doubt, or if you just don't care that much, stick with all-purpose. I can't say that the difference is that big.

Step one is to mix everything together and let it rise. This is the worst part, because it takes about a day (and I want bread now!!). But rise it will.

Step two is to put it on your counter and play with it a little, then let it rest. In hindsight, doing this on a cutting board would make way more sense. Next time.


Bake.


The end.

{edit: I have since made this again for a total of three loaves. It is really, really, really good. It makes me feel all wife-y. And then I went to the nexus of evil (Trader Joe's) and discovered double cream brie. And now I weigh a lot. The end.}

No comments: