Sunday, February 10, 2008

Taxing

I filed my taxes last Thursday. It was a little tricky getting all of my tax forms in advance of the mailed copies (and, in fact, the two important ones are by download only). I've used the same e-file service ever since I started filing taxes for real. So, I was the first person I know to even be thinking about it, much less file, and I was definitely feeling my oats over it. No money, no kids, no house, no problem!

I got an email the next day saying my forms were rejected. The social security agency had never heard of me - which was scary, since I've paid them thousands of dollars over the years!! I was in a total panic. This meant I'd have to re-file, and I'd already completed my state taxes based on my federal taxes, and I might even have to (gasp!) fill out and mail the forms ...

IRS: 1 Me: 0

I went back in to my account to see what form they'd filed on my behalf, so I could copy it. And I realized I'd made a mistake on my social security number. And I could correct it, and re-file.

Karma: 1 Me: 0

I will never brag with pride again.

No comments: