Friday, February 15, 2008


As in, worst Valentine's Day ever. But it has nothing to do with my lovely fiance.

First off, I was mad my professor canceled class last week, when he could have this week. We were going to get out early, but still - that's a whole drive up to LA that I could have avoided.

The day started off with giving Andy his Valentine's day gift, then rushing out the door. I had to get to work early because of an all-day meeting, and a lot of work had to be done. I managed to get some things done before the meeting started, but I couldn't finish for all of the people around. The meeting was to discuss what was going to happen in April; three days after I leave they're starting a new accounting system, and aren't prepared at all. All morning we discussed the things I said needed to be done when I started, and was told no.

I worked through lunch to try and finish some work. Training really takes up the day! The person I'm training is very nice, and picking up very fast, but I'm just not that good at explaining. After lunch, we went back to the conference room - where most of the attendees did not return until 30 minutes later. They'd gone out to lunch and had super slow service. The meeting was technically complete at 3, but since it was scheduled until 4, most of the group wanted to stick around (and since I'm the "expert" - yikes! - I had to stay).

Finally, not a minute before 4, I ran back to my desk to close things up. I got to see my work friends for the first time in about a week, and didn't actually leave for class until 4:20, 10 minutes late for beating traffic.

And oh, what traffic. I called my parents on the way to wish them a happy Valentine's day and unfortunately they got to hear all of my awful road rage. The highways were no worse than usual, but the traffic around campus was a parking lot! After nearly getting hit by someone who decided they didn't want to let me change lanes (after I was 3/4 of the way in), I got to the parking structure - which had the "Full" sign out in front. But, when I looked in from the street, it seemed there were plenty of parking spaces, so I ignored the sign and went on in. I guess just a bit of added stress, since the day had gone so swimmingly already.

I met up with some friends in the cafe, and we discussed why the other people in our group don't seem to want to respond on the meeting and projects we have due next week (and why I have, for some reason, become the group's scheduling secretary). Another of my group members was in my class, and I was going to talk to him about it, but he never showed up. At least class was entertaining. And we got out extra early.

Normally, getting out of class before 8 p.m. would be wonderful. But LA traffic lasts up until about then. Once on the 110, which was stopped entirely, I thought I was pushing a little harder on the brake than I usually do. To which my next thought was, "Great, looks like I'll be spending Saturday with my car in the shop."

By the time I got home, my car was entirely undriveable.

Last time I got my brakes fixed, it was sort of slow to come on. I hardly even noticed anything was wrong until Andy drove one day. But this came on fast - within the 20 minute drive from campus home. I couldn't drive faster than 30 miles per hour, and to stop had to pump the brake for a while to get to a full stop. When I finally got home, in one piece and without accident, the apartment was empty. I looked around, but there was no sign of Andy, so I called in to work to let them know I wouldn't make it and then Andy to see where he was.

He came home with a cute little pink Starbucks cup for Valentine's day. But I think the best gift of all was that we were both home safe and sound. I spent the rest of the evening arranging for a AAA tow to the dealership, and making an appointment.

Not exactly the flowers & chocolates every girl dreams about.

No comments: