Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Banana Bread

My husband eats bananas. I do not. Every once in a while, we get a little off schedule and some of our bananas get too mushy to eat. And yet, at this point, they are perfect for baking. That's when I get really excited about bananas!

My other default recipe-finder is SparkRecipes. Of course they'd have an easy, low-calorie banana bread for me. Which required a run across the street for unsweetened applesauce. Arg. But I also got to use a wedding gift in the process!


I've heard of replacing oil with applesauce in breads and muffins and always wanted to try it. These didn't come out bad per se; they were just really, really dense. Like home-building quality bricks that taste like really moist banana bread. So, the lesson here is either just use the oil, or at least try applesauce and egg whites.

Better yet, I think next time I'd go with oil and egg whites. My theory is that it will come out like cake. But, this will have to wait until our next round of mushy bananas.

No comments: