Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bunny Cakes

So, I mentioned I made dessert for a Memorial Day barbecue. But this is no ordinary dessert. No, it's a confluence of small, inconsequential events.

Sounds more exciting than it actually is. I'm just building it up because I forgot to post the picture last week.

I happened to go to the local cake decorating store with some friends, and someone pointed out this Wilton's pan on clearance from Easter. Now, I'm trying to be fairly conservative with my spending lately, but as you know, bunnies know no season in my house. And it was on clearance.

I also fully believe you should have at least one cake mix in your home at all times. Did you know you can buy cupcake mixes? Possibly one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. Basically what you're buying, regardless of cake or cupcake, is a finely sifted mix of flour and sugar. But if it's at the .99 store, I will try it.

Thus:I can't say that the cupcake mix was really any different; I can say that my magical cake release sure didn't pan out like it usually does (but I probably didn't use enough). And yes, I used whole eggs rather than the whites. But I will say that the cupcake mix will make exactly 12 cupcakes, rather than the 16-18 I usually get out of a cake mix.

I had a lot of leftover white icing which I divided and made pink for the ears and nose, although you can't really tell. I kind of wish I'd had time to make extra frosting (although in hindsight apparently I would have had enough) and cover the whole thing.

Theses were a hit simply because they're just so darn cute. Don't deny it.

No comments: