Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Crab Cakes

I have no idea where I got this recipe, but the more I think about it I think my mom gave it to me. Therefore my instructions are basically as detailed as I usually cook; that's to say, I use the "about right" method. These are so expensive in restaurants, and it's really too bad. They're not at all expensive or difficult to make at home.

First, warm up the oven. 400 degrees should be about right.

Then, start the sauce:

  • 3 tbs butter
  • 3 tbs flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • salt & pepper
Bring these to a boil for just a few minutes. Add the flour slowly and you won't get big doughy clumps. My instructions say to let it cool, but really you can go on ahead if you're hungry. This mix is good to know anyway - you can add some garlic or other spices and ta da! Alfredo sauce.

Then, make the mix for the patties:
  • 1.5 cups bread or cracker crumbs
  • 2 cups crab
  • 1.5 tbs lemon juice
What are those icky green things in the mix? Those are onions. I'm really in to green onions lately.

Next, grease up a baking sheet. And I mean grease. These will stick like no tomorrow, and the cooking spray will just barely fry the outside.


Throw them in the oven for about 10 minutes (no, I don't care where the rack is), flip them over, and cook them another 10.

Being the obsessive calorie counter I am, I submitted my recipe to SparkRecipes. This is why I don't use my own recipes and why I don't give them out. They're 40% measurements, 50% in my head, and 10% made up on the spot.

No comments: