Friday, January 18, 2008

MO

Let me just start by saying I don't mean to offend anyone from Missouri. It's just that once you get outside Missouri, let alone the midwest, people act weird. Outside of the midwest, people see it as a black hole between coasts.

When I went to college, we had signs on our doors with our names and hometowns. The majority of students were from the Chicago area; in fact, I think I learned where most neighborhoods and towns are in relation to each other even though I've only been there once! My sign didn't actually say St. Louis, because that wasn't really my mailing address, so I think there was at least one person who asked if I was from England. But I had more than one awestruck floormate ask why I left Montana. For the record, Missouri's state abbreviation is MO; Montana's is MT. And there isn't even a city called St. Louis in Montana.

A lot of people don't realize the difference between St. Louis and East St. Louis. That's understandable. Cities that are on state borders are a little confusing, even when you know where they are, because people expand in all directions. Honestly, all of New England is a mystery to me. That being said, I still can't hide my offense when people say St.
Louis is in Illinois. No, I am not from Illinois. Which I almost always follow up with an explanation why it's offensive.

The humor of Missouri sounding like "misery" is not lost on me. It's just not as funny after 8+ years.

There have been very few - less than you can count on one hand - that are surprised we're having the wedding in California rather than Missouri.

Yes, St. Louis was voted the most dangerous city. In 2007. Detroit has recovered that honor, thank you, and no, my family does not live in fear of their lives.

"Do you think you'll ever go back?" I can't tell you how many people have asked me this question. At first I was totally dumbfounded - I had just moved, why would I undo all that less than a year later? It's been almost 4 years now, but people still ask, I'm sure just to make conversation or be polite. Normally I just smile politely back and say "No." No attitude, no eye rolling, no joke. On occasion I'll throw in a little attitude, if I'm feeling especially pestered.

No comments: