Sunday, April 27, 2008

Licensed

The other day I got a letter from the DMV. This year my little Civic friend and I have a date with the smog test, but that letter doesn't usually come until the late summer or fall. So, I was a little afraid that the DMV was trying to tell me "girl, your car is so old that you had better start getting it smog-proved now."

But, it's just too early in the year for that. And, it was in a different envelope.

Nope, it's time to renew my driver's license.

What???? The validity of your driver's license just isn't one of those things that you think about on a day to day basis. More like, "Is my credit card valid?" or "Do I need gas?"

Sure, it's no big deal. I've even lived in one spot long enough to renew online (that's awesome, by the way). But that means I've been here for a whopping four years. Since my old license expired right around the time I moved, as I was a cool kid who got their license on their 16th birthday, I just didn't renew it and instead took the California test (which I studied and got 100% on, yet still wasn't allowed to smile for the picture). But this means I've been a California resident for quite a while. Not only that, a relatively stable resident.

Thank goodness they sent a letter. I would have never given that a thought. Sadly, they don't realize I'll be there next year for a new one anyway.

No comments: