Monday, May 25, 2009

Pizzoccheri

I spend probably more time than I should looking up new and fun things to cook. So when our friend living in Italy posted an instructional video for pizzoccheri I was planning on adapting it for my kitchen within the first two minutes.

Essentially, it's noodles, cabbage, potatoes, and cheese; like macaroni and cheese made from scratch and not the electric orange box kind.

I used:

  • 16 ounces whole wheat pasta
  • 1/2 "green cabbage" (yes, this is what our local store called it)
  • 2 giant russet potatoes
  • 8 ounces parmesan cheese
  • 8 ounces butter (or margarine, or vegetable spread, or whatever I bought last)
  • some garlic
  • some bay leaves
Obviously I didn't have a lot of the same ingredients. But it seemed like things came out alright.

Mmmm... yummy looking, right? If I were to make this again (and I will), I would leave the cabbage in bigger chunks and not cook the potatoes as long. They sort of ... disintegrated.

Making the whole box of pasta really makes a lot, especially if there's only two of you. So we had it the next night as a side dish to tuna steaks and a white wine.


And there is still some left over. But it reheats like magic. Next time I would (will) add some bacon, but you could really add anything you'd like. Significantly improvised, but successful!

No comments: