Friday, May 22, 2009

Thursday my friend sent me a link to the Belmont Shore Stroll & Savor and, seeing as how we're an unencumbered couple now, it sounded like a super idea.

There's not a lot of info about it online, but it was popular enough to prompt some Yelp reviews. Which were pretty helpful. You don't know if each place charges 12 tickets, or 2.

We parked pretty far back in the neighborhood, but it really wasn't necessary. I would say it wasn't too crowded at all! We scoped out a couple of places on the way to buy tickets. Most of the restaurants seemed to be participating but didn't make it too clear what they were offering and for how many tickets.

So, we bought one book of 12 for $10 between the two of us. Here's what we got:

Natraj Cuisine of India: 7 item sample plate, 6 tickets. Of all the places we tried this one was my favorite. So much so that I bought curry today even though it usually upsets my stomach. Great deal. And I'd totally go back for dinner.

Magic Lamp: sample plate, 4 tickets. We skipped our standards (La Creperie, Lucille's, Open Sesame), since the whole point is to try new things. I love trying local food whenever I'm away from home, so why not be brave in my own neighborhood? The chicken was good, but the hummus was too watery and the sauces weren't anything special. So it's Open Sesame for me all the way.

Olives Gourmet Grocer: chicken leg, 2 tickets. Sure they had olive ... stuff. I think I'm just not in to fried chicken. Plus these are the kind of groceries I hate (like Trader Joe's, although unfortunately I may have to go soon).

Two ice cream cones from Rite Aid. OK, they weren't actually participating. I paid $2.88 in USD. But man, that Thrifty ice cream.

The best part is, it happens once a month all summer long! The next event is June 24-25 (happy birthday to me!). There are a lot of places I still want to try!

No comments: