Saturday, February 2, 2008

Civic-minded

It's bad manners to discuss politics or religion, because someone is bound to be offended. That being said, it's my blog and you certainly don't have to read it (but this will likely be my first & only post).

I'm so disappointed with the candidates that I'm thinking of not voting at all. And I'm certainly not participating in the primaries, because I want to avoid the junk mail and phone calls - I only have a cell phone, and I'm not paying for that.

By the way, People for Barak Obama, thanks for interrupting me at work and during class to call me four times in one day.

I will never, ever vote for Hillary Clinton or Barak Obama. I'm hoping that neither win; I can't imagine anything worse for the country. And I'm even more angry that the news focuses all of their attention and energy on them, and their petty little minority rivalry. Maybe if the news put forth just a tiny bit of effort on other candidates, you (yes you) and I could perhaps find someone who won't make us feel like we're voting for the least bad option. I would gamble that people would get involved, and excited, about the electoral process, if there were such candidates.

In a separate note, Andy and I had the following conversation a few days ago:

Me: "Hooray! I'm gonna get $300 from the government for freeeee!"
Andy: "What do you think about that?"
Me: ...

On one hand, I like getting rebates. Anything helps. And I like when people give me money just based on my general awesomeness. The Federal Reserve cutting interest rates will get us an affordable house very soon. But, I'll qualify: I've been studying business, finance, markets, etc. for the past 6 or 7 years, so I can pretend I know what I'm talking about. What the government is doing to the economy right now is just going to make it worse later. Tinkering with interest rates, I think, is just a way of making people feel like someone's looking out for them. Giving millions of people $300 or so is not going to ease a recession. And, this could hardly be called a recession, compared to developing countries! A free market has up and down cycles, and sometimes they're small, and sometimes they're big. But that means it's correcting, not that society is going down the drain.

I'm going to hop off my soapbox and crawl under a rock now.

No comments: